Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website in a search engine's search results.
Here are 3 important tips in improving search engine results:
1. A search engine needs to be able to 'read' your content easily
This is accomplished by a number of components such as a good technical site, clear programming, accessibility and structure- Obior has this covered for you already!
So what should you pay attention to?
Search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo and others read the content of your site. Therefore it's very important that you provide them high-quality, original, and information-rich content. Use keywords that is commonly searched and used amongst your target-group fans. Even if you post a video or track, write a short piece about it.
Make sure all your pages contain useful information. Write pages that clearly and accurately describe your topic. For more information about that read our article about optimizing your content for Search Engines.
2. A search engine needs to see that you are an authority
This might sound a little vague, but it's actually quite easy.
Let's say that your artist name is Foo Fighters.
- Search engines like Google scans the internet for the term Foo Fighters and will look which pages have content about this specific term and looks where these pages are linking to.
If most of these pages are linking to foofighters.com, Google will assume that foofighters.com is the number 1 place for people who are searching for content about the Foo Fighters. Foofighters.com then is the authority when it comes to Foo Fighters content.
- Search engines like Google will not only look at the number of pages linking to Foofighters.com, but also at what kind of pages are linking.
A link from nytimes.com means more to Google then for instance a link from your grandmothers blog that gets 12 visitors a month. The more visited a page is, the more serious Google will rank it.
Now that you know how this works, try to get as many links to your site from other sites from influential and relevant sites.
- Always ask the venues where you play to link to your site.
- Link to your site on all your social media.
- Ask your management, record company and bookers to link.
- If someone writes an article about you, ask if they can add a link to your site.
3. Update your site regularly
Last but not least– search engines place great value on how often you publish to your website. Typically, the more frequent you publish, the more frequently search engine spiders check in with you and the more they will reward you.